Sponsored by TRESemmé
The holidays are here, people. Halls are being decked, fa’s are being la’d, and all of your friends are getting cuffed. The summer salads of yesterseason are long forgotten as we take several excuses to stuff ourselves full of pie and gravy-soaked meats. It should be a time when you give absolutely zero f*cks about your appearance (hi, we’ve earned this), but the promise of family festivities and the threat of your nosy relatives prodding you for being single means you might need a pick-me-up. And by pick-me-up, I mean you might want to look hot for when you go out with your friends directly afterwards in search of some good old fashioned single fun… with the same people from your hometown you tried desperately to get away from when you were 18.
To help you with that, we’ve gathered our best recruits and teamed up with TRESemmé for yet another roundup of (actually doable) DIY hair styling guides. And if, like me, you are too much of a grandma to hit a town that boasts lower than thirty degree temperatures, annoying family be damned, rest assured that these styles are ideal for both day and night.
Curly Bun With Headband
You have to love a hairstyle for those days in between washes. And now that headbands are trendy again (13-year-old me is LIVING), you can look high-effort with a very easy-to-do look. Here’s how:
- Pull hair into a high ponytail.
- Twist the ponytail to create a bun.
- Wrap an elastic around the bun, leaving the ends out.
- Put on a headband of your choice.
- Play around with moving pieces on top of the headband to give a nice messy look.
- Spray Micro Mist Level 2: Curl 10-12″ away from hair to lock in your style.
Sure, you could spend $50 at the overpriced blowout bar down the block, but wouldn’t you rather save your money for something really important? After all, those holiday gifts aren’t going to pay for themselves. Here’s how to look like a meal when you’re working with more of a snack budget:
- Spray the TRESemmé Heat Tamer into damp hair all over.
- Shake TRESemmé Extra Hold Mousse well, dispense into palm. Spread through damp hair, applying at your root for extra volume.
- To remove excess moisture, rough-dry with hands. Apply tension at the root and blow-dry upwards for lift.
- Once hair’s mostly dry, section hair. Place the first section under the round brush before blow drying to smooth out strands.
- Apply tension while blow drying with the round brush to add volume and smoothness.
- Twist hair free from the brush.
- Twist the strand with your fingers to hold its shape as it cools.
- Spray Micro Mist Level 2: Smooth 10-12″ away from hair to lock in your style.
Full disclosure, I’ve tried this look a couple of times and I am obsessed. It’s so easy, and another between-wash-friendly ‘do. Also, there’s something very vintage about it that I absolutely adore (especially right now, when 60s styles are resurfacing). Here’s how to look like a high-class Ariana Grande knock-off:
- Use your brush or a fine-toothed comb to tease your hair at the crown to create volume.
- Section off the top quarter of your hair and gather it into a ponytail.
- Loosely secure it with an elastic.
- Tease your ponytail lightly for more volume.
- Spray Micro Mist Level 3: Boost 10-12″ away from hair to lock in your style
If your hair is anything like mine, ponytails inevitably mean flyaways. And while we can’t all laser away our baby hairs like a certain high-profile reality star, there is a way to tame the unwanted fuzz when you’re aiming for sleek instead of sloppy. Here’s how:
- Part hair in the center and divide hair into sections.
- Evenly mist the flat iron protection spray on each section of damp hair, about 1-2 pumps per section.
- Using a round brush, blow dry each section, applying tension to the brush to straighten hair.
- Continue section by section.
- Comb through hair to prep before straightening.
- Straighten hair section by section with the TRESemmé 1″ Ceramic Flat Iron.
- Use a comb to pull hair back into a low ponytail.
- Dispense a quarter-sized drop of the TRESemmé Two Mega Firm Hold Sculpting Gel into hand
- Use fingers to apply the gel along the parting and hairline.
- Run a comb through hair for a sleek finish.
- Spray Micro Mist Level 4: Extend 10-12″ away from hair to lock in your style.
I’m not here to promise you that a hairstyle will fix all of the annoyances that arise during the holidays. But it never hurts to feel a little extra hot when the weather and your family’s attitudes are chilly AF. At the very least, you’ll get a fire holiday pic to post to the ‘gram. So blast that Mariah Carey jam, pick up your hair spray and grab a candy cane, for the holidays have arrived.
In addition to roasting under the sun,
creepily eyeing flirting with the hot lifeguard, and day drinking for no reason other than the fact that the sun is out and it’s summer (duh), the beach provides an endless amount of glorious benefits. That’s why when people say they don’t like the beach for no good reason whatsoever, I usually just delete their number and refuse to associate myself with them ever again. Either you’re socially awkward or you think you’re Edward Cullen, you vampire freak. Moving on. One of my fave, yet severely underrated, perks is how sexual the ocean makes my hair look after I’m done swimming like a fish gasping for air magical mermaid. It’s like I can come to the beach on my fourth second unwashed hair day and no one would ever know because my hair suddenly looks full of life (for once) and has waves for days.
This becomes really convenient because on most days I’m drinking at the beach and I naturally lose track of how Lime-A-Ritas I’ve had. By the time I’m pretty drunk, I somehow convince myself and the two friends that actually put up with my shit that we should definitely go out to a bar after we’re tan (and drunk) enough to tell everyone we just came back from Turks and Caicos. Since I usually take forever and a day getting ready when I’m sober, it’s like a whole different story when I’m basically doing my hair and makeup with one eye open and one-half of my usual levels of hand-eye coordination.
Swimming in the ocean can make your hair look great and all, but if you’re crunched for time (or get too drunk like I usually do), styling your hair after the beach can be an issue when you still want to pull off an Herbal Essence commercial-worthy look while putting in the least amount of effort possible. Whether it’s just adding texture spray, throwing it up in a high ponytail, or simply leaving it wet after the shower, here are some hairstyles you can easily (and drunkenly) take straight from the beach to the bar.
1. Messy Waves
Like I mentioned, chances are the ocean was feeling pretty generous and gave you some salt water goodness, so your hair probably already has this look down pat. However, too much salt water can dry your hair out and leave you looking like Medusa, so scrunch your hair and use a texturizing spray like Reverie’s MARE Mediterranean Sea Mist to restore strength while maintaining the look you love.
2. Wet Hair, Don’t Care
Thank you, Kim, for blessing us once again with your trendy ways and making it socially acceptable to step out in public with wet hair. Otherwise there’s no way in hell anyone would ever let it slide. Imagine? “You just got out of the shower? That’s hot.” More like, “You just got out of the shower? Are you having a midlife crisis showing up here like that?”
After you’re done channeling your inner Bey during your shower, add some Kendra Professional Platinum Revive Oil—the same oil Kim used (assuming it’s good because like, Kim)—as a finishing touch.
^What I probs look like in the shower aka why I take 100 years to get ready
3. Own That Ponytail, Work That Updo
You can never go wrong with a fucking ponytail. Feel free to leave in loose waves for a beachy look or make it a high pony because your hair looks sexy pushed back. Spray on some hairspray, and off to tequila sunrises you go.
4. Loose Braid
I mean, clearly, we can’t all be Blake Lively no matter how many times we wish for it on our birthdays. It’s just not going to happen. The closest we’ll ever get is *attempting* to do a braid that looks as chic as this. If you’re like, creative, I guess (because a regular braid is good enough for me), opt for a loose fishtail braid with pieces of your hair framing your face. In a top 5, a braid is probably number one for the best summer hairstyle. It takes seconds to do and your hair is already pulled back from your face in case too many shots send you running for the bathroom.
5. Messy Bun
When all else fails and your fucking hair just isn’t cooperating with you, which happens to me 9/10 times, throw it up a messy bun and call it a day. After a few drinks, you won’t even care and let’s be real, it’ll probably get ruined anyway.
Now, go chug vodka because this was probably way more stressful than it was supposed to be. As fucking usual.