Now that we’re settling into September, can we all come together and collectively admit that this summer was the Summer of the Girlies? We had movies based on our favorite toys growing up, two of our best female entertaining divas on tour, and enough viral beauty trends to make your head spin. Culturally, May through August has been for the girls…and it’s got us daydreaming of a world where life is tailored by women and for women.
We may not be there quite yet, but a new feature from Lyft has us feeling like we’re one step closer. Women+ Connect is their latest feature that matches women and nonbinary drivers with more women and nonbinary riders—something that so many of us have likely hoped for whenever we request a ride from a rideshare app. Not only will it allow those of us who are in the backseat to customize our experience a bit more, but this initiative also helps to minimize a barrier that may prevent women and nonbinary people from accessing the great flex work opportunity driving rideshare can offer. (We love an upward career path!!)
Here’s how it works: when Women+ Connect launches in your city, you’ll be prompted to opt-in to the feature by selecting “Count Me In.” Then, when you call a car, you’ll have a chance to be prioritized in being matched with a female or nonbinary driver.
TBH, we’re all about this feature, especially as it helps both riders and drivers. Some women who drive with Lyft are equally jazzed about this feature. Maria V, a driver on Lyft*, says that when she picks up another woman, she feels “a mutual understanding, like ‘girl code.’” And in this, the Summer of the Girlies, we’re giving that a big hell yes.
So we polled the Betches office to come up with the dream Lyft ride. If we could design our perfect ride, here’s what it would look like:
- A driver who is either completely silent or hypes you up better than your BFF
- An aux cord you don’t have to ask for so you can DJ your entire trip to your preference
- Every single charging cord you could possibly want for every single kind of phone. (Bonus points for multiples—I need to charge my phone and headphones at the same time, ok?)
- Aromatherapy diffuser where I can control the scent and intensity at all times
- A toiletry basket that’s fully stocked with tampons, hair ties, Advil, spray deodorant, and hand lotion that slips under the seat for easy storage
- A mini cooler with water, flavored seltzer, and some of my favorite little snacks for munching
- A back seat that is so pristine that my driver and I bond over our love of organization Tok
- Temperature set at exactly 73 degrees at all times…
- …but also a little blanket because I’m always cold. Bonus if it’s cashmere.
Are we asking for the moon on a stick? Okay, sure…maybe we are. But in the meantime, keep an eye out for the feature that is launching this week in Chicago, Phoenix, San Diego, San Francisco, and San Jose. Download or update your Lyft app so you’ll be ready when it comes to your city! In the meantime, check out more at Lyft.com/women+
*Real Lyft driver compensated for their time