I know your Bubby’s chicken soup is like, a classic, but sometimes we need to mix shit up. Instead of the usual chicken broth, carrots, celery, noodles, and chicken, why not try bean threads, lime, and Thai green chilies, right? Right.
With the weather gradually reminding us to wear lots of scarves, we’re getting creative with your classic go-to comfort food.
· 2 tbsps vegetable oil
· 1 small onion, thinly sliced
· 4 garlic cloves, minced
· ½ inch fresh ginger, grated
· 2 Thai green or red chilies
· ½ cup shredded carrots
· ½ cup shiitake mushrooms, wiped clean and chopped
· 1 ½ lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
· 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
· 2 small bundles from a 3.75 oz package of bean thread/cellophane noodles
· 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
· 2 tbsps fresh basil, chopped
· 1 lime
· 1 tbsp fish sauce
· 2 tbsps sambel oelek
Grab a large soup pot (like your Le Creuset) and pour in the vegetable oil. Heat over high heat, and, once the oil starts rippling, add the onions, ginger, garlic, and chilies. Season with salt and pepper while not getting splattered with hot oil and cook for like 2 minutes while stirring frequently (don’t burn the fucking garlic). Add the carrots and chicken broth. Cover and let that bad boy sit until it starts to simmer. Once it simmers, add in the shiitakes and chicken and simmer another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Finally, throw in the noodles and simmer another 5-6 minutes. Take off the heat; add the cilantro, basil, all of the juice from the lime, and sambel if you like things hot. Fucking done, and fucking inspired.