Last week we got the chance to interview the host of “Are You The One?”, Ryan Devlin, before the big season premiere tonight on MTV. If you don’t know what AYTO then please fucking educate yourself with our recaps before watching season 4 tonight. It’s basically the trash reality TV that you never knew you needed for the summer- I mean, besides the bachelorette of course #obvi.
Check out what our guy RyDev (literally no one calls him that) had to say about this coming season, how to subject yourself to the fresh hell that is auditioning for this show, and the required booze for tonight.
1. What should we expect for the Season 4 premiere? This is crucial for figuring out how many bottles of wine we’ll need to have available.
Forget the wine and duct tape a bottle of Grey Goose to your palm, because we’re starting this season hard and fast. A $250,000 twist, love at first sight, and some instant chemistry!
2. You’re only on-screen for the challenges, the truth booth and the match-up ceremonies. Are you just chillin’ in Hawaii the rest of the time? Or do the cast-mates ever invite you to their crazy drunken parties? (Because they seem to have a lot of those)
When I’m not with the cast I’m usually working on the script, memorizing lines, or drinking my body weight in Mai Tais in order to get the liquid courage to ask the hard questions at the Match Up Ceremonies. Things can (and you’ll see this season) do get a little intense on that stage!
3. Be honest, does it slowly kill you inside, like it kills us watching at home, when contestants make ridiculous decisions at the match-up?
I want these guys to win. I really do. But they sure as hell don’t make it easy on themselves do they? If you look really closely, particularly as the seasons go on, you can see the look on my face when someone makes an idiotic pick. Last season I had that look on my face a lot. I hope this season they aren’t as dumb.
4. So, we know the contestants are in the dark about who their match is, but are you?
I am. Which I like, as it puts me there as a representative of the audience. I try to ask the questions that I think the viewers would want to ask. I have my guesses of who the matches are… but they’re just guesses.
5. Have there been any matches that you were surprised about? *cough, cough Mike and Kiki, Cough* Or any non-matches that really surprised you?
Haha, yeah I’m not sure about Mike and Kiki. And Chuck and Britney from last season seem awesome together but they weren’t a match. On the whole though, the matches really make sense. It’s not an exact science, but we put a lot of work into finding these matches. The entire show is built on the idea of a Perfect Match, so we take the casting process very seriously. Then you toss them into paradise with a swimming pool filled with vodka and see what happens.
6. Let’s just say I wanted to audition for this show- very hypothetical, but not completely out of the question. How does casting work? It would seem difficult because you a) have suck at dating, like a lot, and b) have to magically match up with another prospective contestant.
It’s an EXHAUSTIVE process and the AYTO team does it amazingly. As for you and the readers, I’m hearing rumors of Season 5 casting soon, so get your video submissions ready!
7. Have any of the contestants ever called you “the voice of reason”? Because they should.
Haha, they’ve called me a LOT of things… but never that. Usually it’s a bunch of expletives when they bone another Match Up Ceremony or Truth Booth. And when I get mad at them they call me Dad. Which I’m cool with.
8. Have you been in contact with any old contestants? Any that you miss in particular?
I’m not in regular contact with any of them, aside from a few tweets here and there. I wish the best for them though — we go through an intense thing together on set and it brings us all close. The S1 cast has a special place in my heart so I’ll look forward to a reunion in like 10 years when they’re all old and boring like me 😉
9. You’re on season 4 now- do you feel like you’ve pretty much seen it all at this point? Or does the show never cease to surprise you?
As you’ll see this season — the surprises just keep on coming.
10. Do you actually believe in all this MTV matchmaking?
I do. This show is really unique — it’s way better than The Bachelor or any other dating show on TV. If they do it right, they all win. Nobody loses. And the show can end at ANY time. They could win in the first episode. That’s insane! Some find their perfect matches, some just learn a lot about what they need in life, but I don’t think there’s been a single person who hasn’t gotten something profound out of the experience. Except Dillan maybe ;).
11. I’m assuming the show is already over, and if so, do you watch the full episodes at home? What do you think of the way the contestants act when you’re not on-screen?
I absolutely watch every episode. First off, the entire production team puts a lot of blood, sweat, and tears into making the show and I love to see how it all comes together. And second, I love seeing all the crazy shit that goes down when ‘dad’ is away from the house. My expectation is that this season may be among the craziest… but also among the most truly fulfilling in terms of emotional connection and raw heart.
12. What’s your advice to anyone trying to find their perfect match that doesn’t have the help from MTV?
Build a Truth Booth in your backyard.
Well, you heard it here first. Be sure to check out “Are You The One?” tonight at 10/9c on MTV and fasho come back tomorrow to see our hilarious recap of it all. You’re welcome.